The Department of English Language Teaching at the University of Kyrenia enables students to study the principles and properties of the English language while also giving them a thorough grounding in the practices of language teaching. Combining practical teaching experience with insights derived from theoretical work in the field, the programme is designed to equip students with the skills they require to prosper professionally.
The department is committed to building a vibrant, inclusive and innovative learning environment. We aim to provide a high quality, transformative education program which sets standards within the region while allowing students to develop their language teaching skills in an international setting.
All courses at Department of English Language Teaching are taught and assessed in the medium of English (other than those in modern foreign languages). Therefore, all applicants must demonstrate they possess at least a minimum standard of English language proficiency. Please refer to the web page of the Foundation English Programme which sets out the language requirements of the University of Kyrenia.
The aims of the programme are:
- To give students a firm understanding of the intricacies of the English language
- To help students adapt to the fast-changing role of the English language in modern societies
- To give students a full understanding of current practices and methods in teaching, assessment, curriculum design and classroom management
- To provide students with practical teaching skills and experiences, supported by theories relating to language acquisition
- To promote critical thinking, encouraging students to look at teaching from a fresh perspective and to question received wisdoms
- To encourage students to be flexible and innovative in their teaching methods
- To enable students to take advantage of emerging technologies in the classroom
- To help students to identify and find solutions to problems which typically impede classroom learning
- To enable students to effectively design and produce creative teaching materials
- To develop the capacity of students to continually improve their language and teaching skills through lifelong learning
Official length of programme: 4 years (excluding one year of English Foundation Programme), 2 semesters per year, 14 weeks per semester
Students who graduate from the English Language Teaching programme at the University of Kyrenia will be able to follow a wide range of professional opportunities in a variety of modern teaching environments. The programme is designed to prepare students to teach nationally and internationally, in both public and private institutions. In addition to employment in the classroom, graduates may also be able to work in academia, education management and policy, or publishing.
Requirements for graduation
Successful completion of 148 credits in total. Achieving an overall cumulative grade (CGPA) of 2.0 out of 4.) at the end of the 4-year programme.
Total Credits: 148
Mode of Study: Full Time
Qualification Awarded: Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)